Technical problem-solver for several UK manufacturers of fall protection equipment. Fall-accident investigator. Technical analyst, fall safety, on commissions for Electricity Association, Northern Electric plc, National Grid Company plc, Eastern Electricity, Scottish Hydro and Royal Assurance. Consultant to Health and Safety Executive (HSE) on investigations into fall-arrest dynamics (kinematics), fall-arrest equipment, specialist harnesses and working procedures. Inventor and patent holder for several widely used fall-arrest devices and anchorage systems (inventor/owner of 2 patents, inventor and joint-applicant for 5 others, inventor and joint applicant for 3 others pending).
Convenor of Working Group 1 of CEN/TC160 – Protection Against Falls from a Height, 1987-1995, with responsibility for European Standards EN 364, EN 365 and EN 795. Representing Institution of Mechanical Engineers as technical member of BSI committee PH/5 – Industrial Safety Belts and Harnesses.
Relevant publications, papers:
• Crawford, H: “Proving Tests on Industrial Safety Belts, Harnesses and Safety Lanyards to BS 1397: 1979”, for British Standards Institution, NEL Report BRAN 02 (October 1980).
• Crawford, H. and McTernan, L.M: “Cyclic Testing of Continuously Wetted Synthetic Fibre Ropes”, 1983 Offshore Technology Conference, Houston, TX, Paper OTC 4635 (May 1983).
• Crawford, H. and McTernan, L.M: “Cyclic Load Testing at Sea-Wave Frequency of Continuously Wetted Man-Made Fibre Rope”, 1985 Offshore Technology Conference, Houston, TX, Paper OTC 5061 (May 1985).
• Crawford, H. “Arrest That Falling Man!” Explanation of BS 5062, BSI News, August 1985.
• Crawford, H. “Fall Protection in the United Kingdom – Legislation, Standardisation and Practice”. Proceedings of International Fall Protection Seminar. October 1985, COPE, Toronto.
• Crawford, H. “Report on a Test Programme on Safety Harnesses and Belts as Applied to Steel Erection and Associate Trades” – for The British Constructional Steel Association. NEL 300/87, December 1987.
• Crawford, H. “Who’s Afraid of Fall Factor 2.0?” Proceedings of International Fall Protection Symposium. October 1988, ISFP, Orlando.
• Crawford, H., Brady, A and Hare, D: “An Investigation of Tree Climbing Harnesses and Climbing Techniques” for Health and Safety Executive. NEL 128/89, July 1989. HSE Report 22/1990.
• Crawford, H. “Fall Arrest Equipment – What Price Safety?” Occupational Health, Vol.41, No.10, October 1989.
• Crawford, H. “Full Harness Vs Sit-Belt.” Proceedings of 1990 Arboriculture Research Seminar. April 1990, Arboricultural Association, University of York.
• Crawford, H. “Full Harness Vs Sit-Belt.” Horticulture Week, Vol.208, No.16, Special Report – Arboriculture, October 19, 1990.
• Crawford, H. “ISO and European Standards for Fall Protection” Proceedings of International Fall Protection Symposium. October 27, 1994, ISFP, San Diego.
• Crawford, H. “Energy Absorbers for Tree Surgeons” (An investigation of fall distances for tree climbers equipped with sit harness or with full harness). HSE Report 85/1996. Copyright Controller of HMSO 1995.
• Crawford, H. and Hare, D., “A Study of the Performance of Wood-Pole Fall Prevention Devices for the Electricity Industry”, NEL Report No.70/99, December 1998.
• Crawford, H. "Survivable Impact Forces on Human Body Constrained by Full Body Harness". Report on study for Health and Safety Executive, 2003.